It’s too early. I know.
I am so excited about fall. I always love fall, but this year it’s a bigger deal. I am more aware of the changing season because this year, fall means it’s time for our WEDDING.
Maybe my subconscious is playing tricks on me, but the days are starting and ending with a brisk coolness to them. We had soup for dinner the other night, made in the crockpot! Maybe I am spinning out of control.
This recipe for Fall Lentil Salad with Apples & Beets is perfect for late August – when weather is still warm, but fall is unmistakable. This time of the year tends to be insanely busy, so this recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes and can be made in advance. With less than 10 ingredients, this salad is hearty and fresh. This side dish is guaranteed to impress guests when served topped with fresh herbs, but if you want to keep it all to yourself, it’s a perfect addition to a packed lunch.
Fall Lentil Salad with Apples & Beets
Serve cold, with an orange slice and topped with some fresh herbs, like parsley or mint.
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 3 golden beets, peeled and cubed
- 2 apples, cubed
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine the lentils and water (or broth) in a small saucepan. If cooking in water, add a good pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, until most water is absorbed and lentils are tender. Stir frequently.
- Add the cubed beets to a separate sauce pan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until beets are fork tender. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Combine the cubed apples, orange juice, oil, salt and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. Add the cooked beets and lentils. Toss and refrigerate until ready to serve.